1. All submitted Advertising Content is subject to approval by the editorial team and must comply with the points below.
- All claims contained in Advertising Content must be justified by relevant supporting references, as recommended by the ‘Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals’ (ie from a peer-reviewed source, such as journals, supplements or presentations at recognized scientific conferences). “Data on file” is acceptable provided the documentation is produced if requested, which it may be in cases of clinical uncertainty. For online Advertising Content, such reference must appear on either the banner advertisement itself or the first webpage to which the banner is linked.
- Supporting reference material may be required in exceptional circumstances.
- Generic name and prescribing information of drugs must be provided within the Advertising Content. For online Advertising Content, such information must appear on either the banner advertisement itself or the first webpage to which the banner is linked.
- Advertisers must highlight on submission any non-standard advertisement/insert format —ie, paper quality, size, flash, animated gifs, etc.
- Advertising Content for tobacco, alcohol, recreational drugs or any illegal products will not be accepted.
- Advertising Content which may be confused with the scientific or opinion based content of the Journals or the Website will not be accepted
- Print advertising features must carry the statement ‘Advertising Feature’ in a font size at least one-half that of the largest font size used in the advertisement. If for any reason, in its professional opinion, the editorial team feel it would be appropriate, it will seek rapid peer review of the contents of an Advertising Feature in order to inform its final decision.
- Commercial banner advertising must be clearly identifiable as such and the name of the advertiser should appear on the banner
2. In all editions of Portuguese Journal of Pediatrics inserts must not break editorial text or appear between the cover and inside contents.
3. Judgment on the suitability of all Advertising Content is based on the editorial integrity, profile, and reputation of Portuguese Journal of Pediatrics and the Website. Advertising Content must be in keeping with the professional and scholarly nature of Portuguese Journal of Pediatrics and must comply with all relevant laws, regulations and industry codes, including without limitation the ABPI Code. The principle of maintaining editorial independence from commercial influence will underlie decision-making. Portuguese Journal of Pediatrics do not allow advertising to influence editorial decisions: the editorial content of each issue and the Website is decided independently of the advertising planned for that issue. Details of Portuguese Journal of Pediatrics or the Website’s editorial content or authorship are not available to advertisers prior to publication. Portuguese Journal of Pediatrics will not knowingly solicit or accept advertising against specific articles, whether original or commissioned. (On rare occasions an advertisement may have been approved and booked for an issue or for the Website that serendipitously contains an article on a related subject; publication in such circumstances shall be allowed unless it is judged by the editor that Portuguese Journal of Pediatrics reputation is or might be adversely affected). Readers must be able to distinguish clearly between advertising and editorial material. Targeted advertising may be accepted for Website search alerts, but only under strictly limited circumstances.
4. If approval is in doubt, the advertising department will inform the advertiser of the reasons, the action to be taken, and the estimated time of delay.